Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Chive Popovers: Easy & Delicious with Roast Beef





Whenever we serve a Prime Rib of Beef, I always make my version of a Yorkshire pudding, because what is a roast without all the trimmings? A classic Yorkshire pudding is a sight to behold, puffing up like a chef's hat, only to collapse in the middle after you remove it from the oven. The problem is, I've never been able to master the traditional 'pud'. I find it rather bland anyway. My challenge was to find a recipe that would be as spectacular, would taste better, and wouldn't collapse. Hence, my Chive Popover. The name 'popover' comes from the fact that the batter swells or 'pops' over the top of the muffin tin while baking. The recipe isn't so terribly difficult, simply eggs, milk, salt and flour, which forms an eggy batter similar to that of a Yorkshire pudding — but it tastes better. I've made these popovers on countless occasions, and they have worked every time. Fresh from the oven, they're a wonderful golden brown with a crisp exterior and soft middle, and I love they way they rise from the muffin tin in a topsy turvy manner. I normally bake the popovers while the roast is resting, so they're ready to serve lovely and hot straight from the oven. I add chives to my batter, which I feel enhances the flavour and makes them look festive and inviting. 



Delicious served with Roast Prime Rib of Beef




Chive Popovers
Makes 12

1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened for pans
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
3 large eggs
Fresh chives, chopped


Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix the flour, salt, milk, eggs and chopped chives and whisk until it forms a pancake-like batter. This can be done ahead of time, covering and refrigerating the batter until ready. Grease the muffin tin generously with softened butter (note: the larger the muffin tin; the larger the popover). Place the tin in oven for 2 minutes to melt the butter and heat the pan. Remove the hot muffin tin from the oven, and fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake 30 minutes but don't peak! Serve immediately.














No comments:

Post a Comment